Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Winter woe

It's already March but winter is very much still here. Hay, kakainis!! Tama na, sobra na!! Paawat na, kulubot na ang balat koh, pwede na human leather!Harharhar! Hate ko ang winter, arghhh!!! Nakakaloka na ang snow in da morning, snow in da pm lalo na't kasama ang nakamamatay na lameeeg!! Pero, teka, winter and snow used to be fun ha. Makapagbalik-tanaw (tama ba tagalog ko?) nga...
When I was a kid, I used to look at my Mom's collection of christmas cards and thought that winter must be fun. Winter to me then was synonymous with snow. Nakakainggit, those kids in the cards all bundled up seemed to be happy playing in the snow. I even wished na sana kahit one day lang magsnow sa Baguio para alam ko ang feeling. Everytime that there is hail, I would drop what I'm doing and run outside the house, baka nga magsnow!!hehehehe..
So when I came to the States, I was excited and looking forward to seeing snow. Phoenix, didn't have snow so I was so excited when I took a vacation to go see my aunt New Year of 04 kaso di nagsnow sa New York during that time. Then later I went to see my ex-boyfriend in Colorado (oy wag madumi isip, asawa ko na sya!hehehe) and when I saw patches of snow on the ground while going up the Rocky Mountain National Park I was so happy and excited, so of course we got out of the car and took pictures. When we got to the Park, there were more snow to see. Buti na lang di ako nagtatatakbo sabay kanta ng " dashing thru the snow, in a one horse open's sleigh, hey!!! Hehehe, kasi madulas lalo pa at mali suot ko sapatot. Natapilok nga ako eh, kasama si fafa falling down sa snow kasi mega-tight holding hands kami. So, yun ang aking first encounter sa snow. Then sabi ni fafa, teach daw nya ako mag-ski, di say ko naman sure! Aba, isip ko, sosi yun ha! Sa tv ko lang nakikita nun yun! Buti, andun pa sis nya noon sa Denver at borrow ko, ski clothes nya. So the day before, turo ni fafa pano ang stance while on skis, mukhang engot pero sige, follow naman ako. So up to the ski resort we went. Clumsy pero walang takot, I hopped unto the lift. Hirap maglakad with skis on your feet ha! Then when we reached the top, ayun, lumabas na takot ko. Pero dati akong military girl so prove ko astig ako! Harharhar!! And down the hill I went..falling down like crazy!! Hah!Hirap pala magbalance ng sarili. Subsub sa snow palagi. So I try to get back on my feet, aba, kahirap tumayo!!! Bigay ko lahat ng energy ko, kulang na lang mautot ako, wala pa rin! Bunny hill lang yun pero it took us 2 hours to get down!! I spent more time on my butt than skiing that time. Kasi, whenever I gain speed, I panic and fall down. Buti na lang may naawa na ski instructor at tinuro nya pano magslow down and magstop! Eh, yun ang di tinuro ni fafa, ang pinaka- importante na part!! So, while on my 3rd round up the ski lift, sa pagod at galit ko, sabi ko, di na lang sana ako pumunta dun!! Muntik na kami maging history ni fafa nun!hehehe..
Anyway, I became better, practice lang ang katapat, panic pa rin pag mabilis pero laki ng improvement. Syempre proud si fafa to say na fast learner ako. After fafa and I got married, we looked forward to winter and going skiing. The mountain blanketed in white is just so beautiful to see. Ang tahimik at peaceful ang feeling baga. So, yan dati di ako galit sa winter!
When fafa said let's move to Wisconsin, I said yes pero isip ko, "asan yun?". So move we did of August 2005. By October, I was wearing thermal pants!! Fall pa lang yun ha!! Then December came and the snow came down and the temperature just kept dropping. And the view was just bleak and dreary, the trees just looked so dead and ghostly and the white snow became black and dirty and to top it all, I am going to drive on it!! Nakakaloka!! Glorified ang winter sa Colorado mountains pala, this is winter reality!! My stress level is just way high whenever, the weather forecast says it going to snow the following day. The first time it snowed, I took a cab because I was so scared to drive the car home. But there was no avoiding it one time, the roads were covered with ice and snow. We only had one vehicle then, nasa work si fafa and he needed the car to go home. Prego and sweating I slowly drove myself to work that time. Hay, buti na lang di ako nakunan nun! Now, we have a 4WD and everytime it snows, dadramahan ko na si fafa para drive nya ako to work. Buti na lang cooperative ang aking mga tearducts!! hakhakhak.. Shhhh, wag, maingay! Good thing also, I'm spared from shoveling the driveway and the sidewalk whenever there's a snowfall. Bait ng asawa ko! Pero, next winter, baka di nako spared sa pagpapala, kasi nagcocomplain na si bossing eh!
Lord, pwede next winter wag na magsnow? Ay, imposible ata to...o sya-kahit magsnow wag lang sa mga araw na pupunta ako work at pauwi....at pwede kahit magsnow nasa 40's ang temp? (Ay, pwera po batok...)...nababaliw na ata ako...ayayayay...kelan ba mag-spring kase?!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me. I just clicked your blog from "From the Boondocks". Ang saya mong magkwento. I liked your story.

So sorry at di ka na pala happy ever after sa snowland mo. Hehehehe... Well, pagtiyagahan mo na lang siguro =)

Fongakhan

transplantedmama said...

Fongakhan, salamat sa pagdalaw. Balik ka ulit!