Thursday, March 1, 2007

Wanted: Yaya

Matt and I have been very good at taking care of Jadyn for a year now. We both work nights which is good for our routine, we work opposite days that way, one will always be at home with our baby. The tough part is the "in between shift", wherein if I worked the night before, I will nap half of the day and at noon time, have to wake up and takeover for hubby to take a nap before going to work or vice versa. My co- workers wonder how we do it. (read: crazy) Determination that our baby will have less chances of being sick the first year of her life and watching her grow and achieve her milestones in our presence motivated us. Maybe were just paranoid that she will get sick exposed to other kids who are sick. Like one time, we attended a church service and kids have to be put in their daycare, Jadyn really did fine, she never cried when I left her in the care of a stranger but what bothered us was that there was a sick kid with snot running from his nose as well. When we left the church, we were worried that she has gotten the bug, but we kept a positive attitude that she is healthy and will not get sick, and she didn't!!
The months (before nine months old) when she was sitting up was among the easy months to watch her. We had a routine, feed, sit, play and read a book then nap these we did both in the morning and afternoon. She was like a robot that the moment she's put in her crib, she goes to nap! And we liked that because that gave us the time to nap as well! But when she was in between 9-10 months old, her developmental milestones just went full blast, she was crawling and pulling herself up and perfected to climb up and down one ledge in the house! And with all these new stuff that she learned she became hard to be put to nap and sleep! Everytime she's laid down in her crib, she immediately wiggles out from her covers and quickly reaches for the rail and stands up. It was a challenge to put her to bed, and it's still is until now. Feeding time turned from a 15 minute to an hour long activity as well.
Now that she's a year old, she is more mobile and verbal too! She would just be babbling and screeching at the top of her voice, testing the different inflections she can make. She really sounds so cute but with me being a light sleeper, it makes sleeping harder. Also our house has an open floor plan that one can hear what is going on in the other room and everytime I try to get some snooze, my ears just turn into radar mode! My hubby also doesn't want to limit her exploration. Our house is semi- babyproofed. Our stairway is not gated so everytime she wants to go up the stairs, I have to drop what I'm doing and watch her closely.
So finally, hubby and I decided it's time to put her in daycare during the "in between" days. We wanted only part time care. Yesterday, I started calling for child care providers that I got from the internet and the phonebook. I thought that finding one would be the easy part and choosing which one to put my child would be the tough decision, but to my surprise, I was wrong! Most of these places have no openings! I've called all the numbers from the referral list I got and all the answers are either "we're full" or "we can put you on the waiting list." One even said that the next opening available is this coming fall!! I still got some numbers to call but I feel that they will give me the same answer. If hubby gets accepted for the job that he applied, then we're screwed. It's going to mess up our routine as he will need to be on a day schedule for orientation.
So, anyone willing to be a yaya?

No comments: