Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Passport Troubles

In the Pinas, if you are not a government employee, you have to go thru a looonngg line to apply for a passport. It takes a day's worth of your time just to process one BUT when they tell you to get it on this date, it is there. I don't know if it still works that way.
Okay, securing a passport the American way used to be a breeze so my hubby said. It was just that we applied for our baby's passport at a time when everybody wanted to get their passport since the government required all US citizens to have one for air travel to countries like Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Also, it's spring break so college kids and maybe their families want to travel as well, ergo the high demand for passport.
When we applied for a passport, we were told and according to my research that it takes 8 weeks at the MOST to have a passport. I wanted it to be expedited but hubby said, it's okay to wait, we got the time (kuripot kasi). So, I counted the days to the time we were leaving and there was still 2 weeks allowance to the flight date.
Four weeks after, we checked it online and it showed that they had received it. On top of the page in red letters, there was a note saying it is now taking 10 weeks for routine service to be delivered! WTF?! Checked it a week after and it's still saying the same thing. So I tried to call the number and the voice said that if your'e not leaving in 2 weeks time drop the call, honest and a good follower me did that.
Two weeks prior to our flight date, hubby called and they said it needed some signature, yada, yada, yada. In short, it's not yet done. Called again, same response. Anxiety level at this time- 0-1.
One week prior to departure date, they told hubs it was ready for mailing. I called the following day, and got the same response. Jeez, it takes that long to mail it?!! The guy on the phone was typing on his keyboard and told me that he wrote a note to have it be delivered overnight since I told them our departure date is this Friday (actually it's Saturday). He assured me, it going to come before we leave. So I was reassured. Anxiety level 4-5.
Tuesday came, nothing came. Called again and the person said it was just mailed that day. Then he gave me a tracking number and I asked how long does it take for it to arrive anbd he said 3-5 days. WTF?!!! So, I said we might not make it to our flight date and so I asked for alternatives and he said to postpone our flight!!! At that point I wanted to strangle this guy's neck but I took a deep breath and in a condescending tone, I said NOPE! We don't have enough vacation time. (My brainy at the same time said, Hoy Mister! Hinde ako tumatae ng pera para basta basta ipostpone ang aming flight!) I wanted to yell at this guy, for even suggesting that ( but hey, I asked for an alternative right?!) So he then said to call USPS and have it be mailed faster for a fee. Anxiety level- 10!
Told hubby what transpired and he said "I thought they said that it was supposed to be an overnight delivery?" So he called again and the person he talked to said it's an express so it will be here Wednesday.
Wednesday came and the mailman came and no passport came. I called USPS and they said, they cannot upgrade the mail. Grrr!! So hubby called the passport center again and he voiced his frustrations. If that was me talking on the phone, I would have vented my frustrationsand yelled at these people for telling us 2 different things! Anxiety level at this time, 100! with a desire to strangle somebody at the passport center!
So if you need to secure a passport and your'e kuripot, apply a year before your travel date, that way you don't have to worry. The easiest, although more expensive way is have it be expedited but still apply at least 2 months before you leave.
Lesson #1- don't listen to hubby and insist on having it expedited! Lesson #2- be smarter than them! Don't call 2 weeks prior to your exact departure date. Call them a month prior to your flight date and still say your leaving in 2 weeks. Baket? Alam ba nila talaga?! I doubt if they will ask for your ticket number, eh pagsagot na nga lang nila ng telepono it takes 30 minutes of waiting!
NPIC you suck!
Let's see what happens tomorrow! Abangan!

UPDATE: WE FINALLY GOT THE MOST AWAITED PASSPORT!! PILIPINAS HERE WE COME!!!

2 comments:

admindude said...

very interesting. and to think that we here at the philippines think that we have the worst bureaucrats hehe. pero at least nakuha na ninyo. kaya happy trip and safe travels

Anonymous said...

I can see how one become a little discontent, but try this one.

I became disabled stopping what police called a possible rape (the women were too afraid to talk about it)and I suffered a fractured skull, and now since I'm unable to work and have fallen behind in my child support the government has totally denied my passport. More can be read, and if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank You; Mark

http://passporttroubles.com/