Sunday, June 10, 2007

Back to Reality

We're back from vacation since three weeks ago but I've been trying to catch up with work, classes, household chores and jetlag! Two weeks of vacation was so short, by the time our body was adjusted to the Philippine time it was time to say bye- bye!
So here's a boring take on what happened during our two week vacation.

And the Saga Continues..

Prior to our trip, hubs and I were so stressed about J's passport's delay. A day prior to the trip we were able to breathe as we got it finally in the mail. On the day of our flight from our local airport, I told hubs that we need to be there early. As per our itinerary from the travel agent flight time was 1245 pm and we were there 1130 am. As I got off from the truck and unloaded some luggages, I saw a plane up in the air and I thought to myself, "Hope that's not our flight!" Calmly, I started bringing in our luggages inside the terminal and I was surprised to see that no one was there except us and a NW employee by the counter. So again, I looked at the time in our itinerary and it clearly said 1245, I double checked the time to see if we weren't late. Everything was okay, so still calm I went to the counter and I asked for some tags and he asked if we were there for the pm flight and I said yes, coz to me 1245 is technically pm already. So after I was done writing our names and address and tagging our bags, I went ahead to check in. As I handed our itinerary, the NW guy said we missed our flight! "What??!! Are you kidding me??!! " He said they haven't had sked flights at 1245 in a loong while like 8 years ago! He said that my travel agent was notified but Mr TA never notified me. Now , I was in a panic mode but was able to recoup right away and think of some alternative. So I asked the guy what time is the next flight available but then he had a better suggestion- drive to the Twin Cities and catch our connecting flight since the plane leaves at 345 pm. It's an hour and 45 minute drive so hubs hurriedly stashed our luggages back to the truck while I was still talking to the guy at the counter to make sure our flight is not cancelled. I was glad they were so helpful. I guess they felt sorry for us.

On the drive to the TC, I was a nervous wreck checking the time and praying that no traffic will be ahead of us. I was so glad and thankful when we were all checked in. But what do you know, our flight got delayed for a couple hours due to a busted bulb! Then hubby started getting all whiny about NW's seats and service and said I should have booked for a PAL! Yada, yada, yada! I got pissed off and told him the next time we're going home, it's up to him to book a flight! Thankfully our connecting flight in Narita waited for us!

Finally the long trip is over when I was greeted by the stench and humidity of Manila! I was expecting that some passengers will start clapping like the way it was with PAL when we came home 2 years ago but I was in for a dissapointment. Hubs was the only one who clapped! So, okay next time will take a PAL, even if it will be 3 connecting flights for us.

"Welcome Home!"


Even if it was close to midnight, it was sweltering hot at the NAIA, I just realized that they don't have good airconditioning at the airport. Hmmm, asan kaya napupunta yung ek ek na terminal fee na sinisingil sa mga pasahero tuwing paalis sila??!!

So we proceeded to the carousel and got our bags, thankfully there was not a line to go thru customs, so I was able to pick any counter and so of course I chose the "Express". The lady at the counter was saying something but I couldn't really hear so I kept saying what?! She was wanting to know what was inside our bags, (customs nga eh?!) So I said clothes, and she replies with "Ow, yun lang?talaga?!!" with a smirk to go with it. So I said chocolates, pagkain and she keeps repeating, "yun lang ba talaga?" And without missing a beat she continues, "o di ko na chechekin bags nyo ha, ako, wala ka bang pasalubong sa kin?" I was stumped and speechless and very irritated, mad and dissapointed. And at the same time here comes hubs like an excited 5 year old asking if our passports were rightfully stamped so to satisfy him, I checked and at the same time, madly, I told him in front of this lady's hearing what transpired. And he says, "why,is she related?!" The lady, embarassed and trying to save face from a foreigner shoos us away and keeps saying "go, go, go!!" and hubby innocently says "why no one is behind me?!" It was a funny and irritating moment at the same time. So within earshot, I said it's so dissapointing to be welcomed home in this manner! Next time, that I'll be treated this way, I'll get the person's name and do something about it! Nakakahiya kayo! I think, it's the fault of other balikbayans enabling this customs people by inserting some dollar bills in their passports to have a faster service. Well, they can go ahead and check my bags if they want to! I just don't give away my money for no reason! Bah, pinaghirapan ko pera ko ha! I've heard similar incidents from co-workers but I wasn't expecting it myself!

Now, mad and irritated, I was seeing red! Then here comes Porter 1 asking to push our luggages, nicely I said no, then he persists, and I still say no and he keeps persisting so I became more mad and had to yell no and he leaves. Then comes porter 2, same persistent attitude and same thing happens to him. So they leave us alone, then before we cross and descend thru the exit another guy comes and says we might not be able to push our cart since its going down, yada, yada, yada. I ask hubs if he's able to do it and he said yes but still Porter 3 persists, now I'm boiling with rage and so like the MGM lioness, he heard me growl a no! Poor guys, I know they were just trying to get a tip butvery tired and very mad at the prior incident made me see all these people at the airport just after my money. Hubs was so surprised coz he never saw me that grumpy before! (Hehehe, I guess I've been Ms Manners all along!) Pero, Wow! what a way to be welcomed home!!

To be continued, antok na ko...

No comments: